Saturday, November 29, 2014

Jack Of Fables: Jack Of Hearts





There are two parts to Jack in this book. One part is about Jack's past and explains his secret former relationship with the Snow Queen. It is during this relationship he gains the name Jack Frost, and the powers that go with that character. The second part is about what Jack is up to currently in Las Vegas. He finds a directionless heiress and gets married to her. Could this be Jack's happily ever after?

This is the second volume in the Jack Of Fables series that is a spinoff from the Fables series. You should probably read this book after the first book The (Nearly) Great Escape to fully understand what is happening. I would also recommend reading through Fables volume six Homelands before tackling this book if you want to avoid any possible spoilers.

I did not really care for this volume, largely because I do not care for Jack's character. There is really nothing redeeming about him to me. He is a womanizing jerk that always will look out for himself, and there is no effort to make him appeal in any other way. His humor does nothing for me, so this spinofff series is not my cup of tea. I only continue to read it because I am a major fan of the Fables series and do not want to miss any information that pertains to the larger story. I did like that this story did follow one of Fables major themes of combining fairy tale characters into one person, so Jack The Giant Killer is also Jack Frost. It is always managed in a fun, clever way, so that was awesome. Other than that, not so great.

If you are not a fan of Fables or Jack's character, I would not recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment