Monday, November 24, 2014

Girls At The Kingfisher Club



18764828



Jo Hamilton is the eldest of twelve sisters. Their mother died while they were young, and their father wants nothing to do with them. Jo teaches her sisters to dance, and she is the one who gives the signal at night to sneak out to go to the speakeasy. It is their only freedom. One day, their father tells them he will begin marrying them off to men of his choice. The girls sneak out more, knowing this joy might soon be denied to them. They are caught in a raid one night, and everything changes.

I thought this was a fun and unique retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I liked the use of the prohibition era as the setting for the story. It worked really well with this story. I had initially been a little hesitant about reading it. I was wondering how a modern retelling of the tale would be pulled off, but it actually worked really well. The writing pulls you in, and there is never a dull moment.

I found myself absorbed in this tale. I loved the personalities of the different sisters. I also liked that we did not get to know as much about some of them. I have heard some complaints about this. I thought this was actually very good for the story as it would have either made it very long, or all the information about the individuals would actually take away from the group, and the story. It was handle in a way that made it unnecessary to go deep into all the personal perspectives. I really enjoyed this retelling. My only complaint is that it was over too soon, but I look forward to reading it again.

If you are a fan of fairy tale retellings, I highly recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment