Monday, January 19, 2015

The Queen's Dwarf





Jeffrey Hudson is a young dwarf sold by his father to the Duke of Buckingham. He is trained by the Duke as a spy, and is placed in the household of the seventeen year old Queen Henrietta-Maria. The Duke wants to squash her influence with King Charles I and the court. Jeffrey struggles to balance court intrigues and his divided loyalties.

I do not know as much about this time period, so I was interested in reading a book about it. The book seemed well researched and was an engaging way to learn more about Charles I and Henrietta-Maria. It was also interesting to learn about Jeffrey Hudson and his role in the court. I liked having the book from Jeffrey's perspective. It was different than the typical princess or maid telling the tale. I liked a more unique look at the life at court.

There was a lot of detail, which can be interesting to read, but I felt there was a little too much detail at some points. It would take over the story in some places. This would make the story too verbose. If some of the words and details had been minimized, it would have enhanced the tale greatly. There was an author's note that explained some of the historical aspects, but I would have liked a little more information in this part of the book.

If you are interested in this time period, I would recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment