Sunday, December 13, 2015

Soulless






Alexia Tarabotti has no soul. She is a spinster living with her family who is shocked when she is attacked by a vampire, which is against all forms of proper social etiquette. When she accidentally kills the vampire attacking her, Queen Victoria sends Lord Maccon to investigate. He also happens to be a werewolf. With everyone blaming her for the disappearance of some vampires, Alexia must figure out what is happening in society. She also hopes her soulless ability will prove an asset rather than an embarrassment as she tries to find who the real enemy is.

Soulless is the first book in the Parasol Protectorate series. I was a little uncertain when I first picked up this book how I would like it. But I am so glad I read it. It has become one of my favourite books this year. I quickly added it to My Favourite Books List, and I immediately went out to read the other books in the series, and the two other series that go with it(Finishing School and The Custard Protocol).

One of my favourite things about this series is the humour. Perfectly balanced with some good action scenes, interesting characters, and of course, the supernatural this book is an excellent beginning to an intriguing series. I could not stop reading. I loved the humorous take on werewolves and vampires. While some of the classic vampire and werewolf tropes are present, I found Carriger's approach simply irresistible.

I also like that the hero is a strong female with her own ideas and opinions. She has her own powers, and is not about to let other people tell her how to use them. She is a believable heroine and one whose story I enjoyed reading. This is a well written book and a great opening to a series.

I highly recommend reading this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment