Friday, October 2, 2015

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe





When Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are sent to the country to be safe during World War II, they have no idea the adventure that is in store for them. They discover a door to Narnia inside a wardrobe. Narnia is a land that is always winter and never Christmas thanks to the White Witch. The children try to help Aslan and the creatures living in Narnia defeat the White Witch and make Narnia wonderful place to live again.

I have read this series several times, so I was excited to share it with the Bookworms. We read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. There is a book that comes before this one chronologically(The Magician's Nephew), but I decided that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe would be a good place in the series to start for those who had not read any of the books before.

The Bookworms enjoyed reading this book together. This was the fourteenth book we read as a group. I picked this book out for us, because it has been a book I have liked reading repeatedly. We had some great discussions about the story, the symbolism, and the author's motives for writing parts of the book. Here are some of the Bookworms' thoughts on the story. Warning! There may be some spoilers.

Q&A With The Bookworms Book Club

How many stars out of 5 would you give this book?
Alejandro 5 but I would give 6 really because I loved it!
Paige 4

What was your favorite part in the book?
Paige I didn't have a favorite part, but I think I liked the ending the best. When they became kings and queens.
Alejandro When Aslan breathes on all the creatures that have been turned to stone to bring that back as to life again.

Did you have a least favorite part?
Alejandro I liked all of it except when they took Tumnus away.
Paige I did not have a least favorite part.

Could you tell when the story took place?
Alejandro It was during World War II because they talked about them bombing cities.

If you found snow in a wardrobe, would you keep exploring?
Paige Yes! I would be curious why there was snow and where it was coming from.
Alejandro Yes! That is exactly why I would too.

Would you follow Mr. Tumnus a faun?
Both: Yeah, to know more about him and this place I was in.

Why do you think the Professor believed Lucy when her siblings did not?
Alejandro Probably because he had been there himself.
Paige And he told them to find out for themselves.

Would you return to Narnia?
Both: Yes!

Why do you think it is always kids that go to Narnia?
Paige Because adults are more mature and do not always believe in these things.
Alejandro They are the ones with bigger imaginations.

Alejandro brought up the point that some of the things that happen in the story seemed Christian to him. So we discussed which parts seemed to have symbolism and what they represented. We also talked about why C.S. Lewis did that, and what they thought about authors including symbolism for religion or other things in their stories. I think this is a great story to introduce young readers to the idea that there are often layers to the books they read.

Thank you to the Bookworms for reading and reviewing this book with me. I think this was one of my favorite discussions, although I have fun with them all. I look forward to our next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment