Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Christmas Carol





Scrooge hates the Christmas season. He is a miser and does not like it when other people feel joy. One Christmas, he is visited by four ghosts. His old partner Marley, and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Yet To Come. They try to show Scrooge the true meaning of Christmas. Will Scrooge learn his lesson to enjoy Christmas and life?

I liked the annotated version of this book. I had read the regular version previously and liked the story, but I found it fascinating to have all the extra information. Terms that are no longer used frequently are explained, what some of the jobs mentioned are, and life in general during Dickens' time are explained so the reader can really understand what the author meant. I read the annotated version, but Alejandro and Paige read different versions.

I suggested this to the Bookworms to read as our twentieth book. I like showing them some classic tales so they know popular references. I also think it is beneficial to be exposed to lots of different kinds of stories and writing. That is one reason I enjoy this book club. Having three of us taking turns choosing the books keeps us all open to new books and experiences.

Here are some of the Bookworms' thoughts on the story. We talked about the different ghosts, what certain words or phrases mean, and what Christmas is about. There may be some spoilers if you have never read the book.

Q&A With The Bookworms Book Club


How many stars out of 5 would you give this book?
Alejandro 5 and a half. It was pretty good.
Paige 4

What part did you like?
Paige I liked the beginning when Marley's ghost came in and Scrooge freaked out and didn't believe at first and was really scared.
Alejandro I liked when the ghost of the future comes.
Paige I thought it was interesting that Marley was a boy. I thought at first his wife had died and was a ghost because I know lots of girls named Marley.

Who was your favorite ghost?
Alejandro The ghost of the future because how he got to the future was really interesting. He didn't use a Delorian or anything.
Paige Marley. Because he was the first ghost and was a little freaky.

Have you seen any movie versions of this story?
Paige No.
Alejandro The Mickey Mouse version.

Do you think Scrooge changed?
Both Yes.
Alejandro He raises how much he pays his employee and Tiny Tim doesn't die.

What did you think of the book?
Alejandro It was one of the best we read so far. It teaches good lessons about sharing and not wanting all for yourself.
Paige It was interesting to read.

Thank you Paige and Alejandro for reading and reviewing this book with me. I look forward to our next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment