Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Sleeper And The Spindle





A rumor has reached the ears of a queen the night before her wedding. There is a princess in a neighboring kingdom that has been cursed with a sleeping spell. She takes up her sword and sets off with trusted friends to rescue the princess. They must face the perils of an enchanted kingdom that has fallen victim to a sleeping curse. The queen is determined to control her own fate as she makes this journey, and discovers all is not as she thought with the princess she is rescuing.

I had high hopes for this retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story, and I was not disappointed. From the moment I began reading I enjoyed the story. Full justice is done to the original version, but there are new elements that keep the tale fresh. I particularly enjoyed the combining of Sleeping Beauty with Snow White. They were woven together in such a way that it is easy to believe they belong together.

I found Riddell's illustrations beautiful. They captured the story and enhanced my reading experience.  I enjoyed pouring over the pictures as I read the story, and could not wait to see all of them. Between the captivating retelling of classic fairytales and the beautiful artwork, this is a book not to be missed. Read it and delight in sharing it with friends and family of all ages. I will definitely be adding this book to my own collection.

If you think you have read all the variations of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White think again. I was happy to discover a new version of these tales. You must read this book if you enjoy fairy tale retellings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment