Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I Survived the Nazi Invasion 1944





Max Rosen is eleven years old and is trying to survive with his younger sister. He must escape the ghetto if he is going to live. He finds a group of resistance fighters in the forest, and must decide if he is capable of fighting the Nazis so he, and others, might live.

This is the sixteenth book the Bookworms read together. I did not read all of this one with Alejandro and Paige as I did not have access to the complete book. I enjoyed listening to them describe the book and discussing it with them. I do really like this series based on the other books in it that I have read, and what I am told about it. I think it is a great way to introduce history to young readers. There is a list of historical facts in the back to help readers sort out fact from fiction, which is always a major plus to me.

The Bookworms are trying something new with this book. When Alejandro or Paige pick the book, I asked them to come up with a few questions of their own for us, or to say something about the book. I thought it might be a fun way for them to be involved with the discussion when they choose the book. Alejandro picked this book for us, and he came up with a few questions for the book. Here are some questions with the Bookworms. Warning! There are some spoilers.

Q&A With The Bookworms Book Club

Alejandro's Questions For The Group:

How do you rate the book?
Paige 4 1/2
Alejandro 5
Whitney 4 I would probably give it more if I had been able to finish it.

What was your favorite part? 
Paige When they found their Aunt Hannah.
Alejandro When they were going to America.

What are some things done to stop Nazi advance?
Paige They blew up the train.
Alejandro They would stop supplies from getting to them.

What was life like in ghetto for the kids?
Paige Hard. They had no food and nothing to trade.
Alejandro Yeah, they barely got rations and the Nazis took their family away.

How do you think they felt when took father away?
Paige They were sad.
Alejandro I think they felt worried and scared.

How do they get out of ghetto?
Alejandro A soldier got shot.
Paige They crawled under the barbed wire fence.

Who did they find while in barn?
Paige Their Aunt Hannah.
Alejandro Their Aunt and fighters.

How does max get wounded?
Alejandro A gunshot.
Paige By a young soldier.

How do Nazis give more scars then guns?
Alejandro They took their Dad away.
Paige Because of what they did to people.

Why do you think Aunt Hannah says you have to hope to survive?
Paige Because if you don't hope you have less chance to survive.
Alejandro I agree.

Do you have any other comments on the book?
Alejandro I really liked the cover It really explains the nazi invasion

Thank you Alejandro and Paige for reading and discussing this book with me. And thank you to Alejandro for coming up with so many great questions for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment