Friday, March 27, 2015

Walking Dead: Here We Remain




The Governor has attacked the prison where Rick and his group have been trying to survive. Rick manages to escape the attack with his son Carl, but they have nothing in the way of supplies. They are separated from the rest of the group and must find a new place to stay. Rick is also injured, and goes into a coma leaving Carl alone with zombies all around. Will they survive?

This is volume nine in The Walking Dead graphic novel series. The last book in the series I reviewed was volume five: The Best Defense. Since my opinion of the series is mostly the same for the books in between these two, I thought I would skip ahead in the reviews to the next one that really stood out to me. First, this volume was different because it focused only on two characters. Second, I thought the writing improved from the previous books. Third: the character development was amazing!

I think this was the best book in the series so far. There is not a lot of dialogue, but I really liked the focus on Carl. Previously, we were not given very much information about him except for the basics, so it was interesting to discover what being a kid in the zombie apocalypse has done to him. It really developed some of the internal struggles better than many of the previous volumes, which is one aspect I have been hoping to see in this series. The series often feels too rushed to really see how the characters would be changing in such a situation. There is still a rushed feeling as you read about these characters and how they change, but it is an improvement.

If you like the Walking Dead series, this is a good one to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment