Friday, March 20, 2015

The Magician King





Quentin Goldwater has finally escaped his miserable life in Brooklyn, graduated from magic college, and has discovered his favorite fictional world Fillory, is real. He should be happy. Quentin discovers being king of Fillory has not magically made him happy. He begins to long for a quest to bring new thrills into his life. The quest does not go as expected. Quentin finds himself in the real world and must struggle to find his way back to Fillory.

This was an incredible continuation of the trilogy. I will admit, when reading the first portion of this book, I thought it was good, but a little slow. I also thought it was lacking some of the magic that made me love the first book The Magician. When I got to the last third of the book, I could not put it down. It was amazing! It exceeded all my expectations, and is definitely on par with the first book.

At first it was a little frustrating to realize Quentin is still looking for whatever it is that will make him happy. He has it all. I like that we grow with Quentin. He is a very real character, and I enjoyed the quest. I also liked learning more about Julia, and how she learned magic. There are some great new characters and adventures in this book. I cannot wait to read the third book Magician's Land. After finishing this book, I have very high hopes for the last book.

I highly recommend reading this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment