Monday, February 23, 2015

The Wars Of The Roses





In The Wars Of The Roses Jones outlines how two branches of the Plantagenet family, the Yorks and the Lancasters, fight for the crown. After years of fighting, they are replaced by the Tudors. How exactly the Tudors gained power, who the major historical figures that were involved, major battles, and an explanation of the Tudor propaganda of this period are some of the major topics that are all covered in this book.

I really enjoyed this overview of the War of the Roses, and learning more details about what led up to the Tudors being in power. I am interested in this time period, and was looking for an overview that connected all the major characters and events. I was very impressed with Jones' writing style, the presentation of the information, and the quality of the research. It was a very absorbing account, and I added this book to My Favorite Books List.

I liked that Jones showed how events such as: Henry V dying too soon, war with France, the marriage between Margaret of Anjou and Henry VI, the acknowledgement of royal half-siblings, the Princes in the tower, and many more events small and large all play an interesting and important role in the Tudors gaining power. I really liked seeing how each person and event played a part in what happened. Jones gives us a fascinating piece of history in this book.

I think anyone who is interested in this time period will like Jones' book. It works for both those who are familiar with the topic, and those that have not approached the topic in depth before. There are a lot of details, but Jones writes in such an engaging way that even those that do not read history books will find themselves enjoyably immersed in the events of The War Of The Roses. I will definitely be reading this book again, and I am looking forward to reading Jones' book: The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings And Queens Who Made England.

I highly recommend reading this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment