Monday, October 20, 2014

1066 What Fates Impose





King Edward has no heir, and there is no clear successor. Although there are plenty of people vying for the throne of England. Harold Godwinson is the one who stands out, and the one most people think will become king. There are many people and events that conspire to keep Harold from power. As the year 1066 begins, England and Harold's future is uncertain.

I won a free copy of this book from the Goodreads First Reads Program*. I thought it was a well researched book and covered an interesting part of history. I liked reading about the dramatic change from one king to the next, and why these conflicts happened. The only problem I had was, all the details seemed to get in the way of a really good plot. The first part of the book was a little slow as it introduced everything. There was not the melding between fact and fiction that I look for in a historical fiction book. The dialogue seemed a bit forced at times and did not flow as naturally as I would have liked. I would find myself getting caught up in the story, only to be distracted by awkward dialogue or slow parts of the story.

I did think this was a great topic for a novel, and even though I knew how it must end, I found myself hoping certain characters would succeed. I think this shows the talent the author possess, and it was a good first novel. I look forward to reading future books from this author.

If you are interested in this time period I would recommend giving this book a try.

*Receiving a free copy of this book does not change my review. It simply provides me with a copy of a book that I would not have gotten to as soon, or heard about otherwise.




No comments:

Post a Comment