Monday, August 25, 2014

The Tales Of Beedle The Bard





The Tales Of Beedle The Bard is a collection of fairy tales from the world of Harry Potter. In the seventh book: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows, we learn how children of wizards grow up hearing these stories. This edition was newly translated by Hermoine Granger from the original edition Dumbledore bequeathed her in his will. There are also extensive notes after each story from Albus Dumbledore. These five tales from the wizard world will delight readers, and some will remind them of tales from the muggle world they grew up with.

This is a marvelous collection of tales! Anyone who enjoys fairy tales will like this book. The stories do not directly relate to the characters in the Harry Potter series, but it does give you a taste of that world. The commentary from Dumbledore does refer to some characters in the series, and gives us more background information. It is not necessary to read the commentary to understand the tales, but if you are a fan of Harry Potter, I strongly recommend doing so. Dumbledore's snarky comments are fun to read.

I greatly enjoyed reading this book. There are morals in all the tales as you would expect to find in classic fairy tales or fables. For short stories, there is a surprising amount of depth to them. The book is a delightful collection of tales, that can be read even if you have never read Harry Potter.

If you like fairy tales, I highly recommend reading this book.

This was the third book the Bookworms read together. I picked this book for us to read. It is fun for all ages, and works well for boys and girls. Here are the Bookworms' thoughts on the book, there are some spoilers:

Q&A With The Bookworms Book Club

How many stars out of 5 would you give this book?

Paige 4 1/2 stars
Alejandro 5 stars

What was your favorite story?

Alejandro I had two. The Three Brothers. I liked that one because it is about being wise and not showing off. My other favorite was Babbity Rabbity because it is funny. I liked how they tricked the king into thinking he could do magic, and he couldn't do the last trick. I think it would be fun to really do magic.
Paige I liked The Three Brothers the best. I liked how they did it in the movie. It was really cool to be able to see it.

What was your least favorite tale?

Both The Warlock's Hairy Heart.
Paige I didn't like it because he stabbed the girl in the breast. I thought he was a mean old crook. He thought he was unstoppable because he didn't have a heart. Love makes you powerful.
Alejandro I didn't like it because he killed himself and the girl. I don't like that.

Did you read Dumbledore's notes after each story?

Alejandro Yes. I thought they were funny to read.
Paige No, I didn't read the notes this time.

Thank you Alejandro and Paige for reading and reviewing this book with me. I look forward to our next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment