Saturday, August 23, 2014

Renfield: A Tale Of Madness





This graphic novel focuses on the character Renfield From Dracula, while he is in the asylum. The events of Dracula are told from Renfield's perspective. Renfield thinks he has it all figured out. The more lives a person consumes, the more powerful they will become. He is thrown into the asylum when he tries to share this knowledge with people. As events progress, he has a special awareness of the vampire Dracula.

I had been looking forward to this book, as Dracula is one of my favorite books. Renfield is an intriguing character, I was looking forward to learning more about him. Although I appreciated that Reed tried to keep Renfield the same as in the original Stoker novel, it seemed to lack the power of the original story. There was nothing new added to this character. No deeper understanding of who the character of Renfield is, and what drove him to madness.

The writing was inconsistent. There were a lot of spelling and grammatical errors. It detracted from the story. Reed's writing style was not similar to the parts of Stoker's Dracula that were included in the story. I would have liked more compatibility between the two authors styles to make this book more compelling. As a fan of Dracula, I found this book disappointing.

I would recommend reading a different book.

No comments:

Post a Comment