Friday, August 1, 2014

Hans And Rudolph





Hans And Rudolph is the compelling story of two men during World War II. Hans Alexander is a German Jew who escapes Nazi Germany to England. He joins the British army and fights in the war. He becomes part of the team investigating war crimes. Hans tracks down Nazi war criminals including Rudolph Hoess, the Kommandant of Auschwitz. The book also examines how Rudolph becomes the Kommandant of Auschwitz, and how he developed a system for mass extermination of Jews.

I received a free copy from Simon & Schuster to participate in the Goodreads History Book Club discussion*. I was happy to receive a copy of the book and participate in the discussion on Goodreads, I had recently heard about this book and wanted to read it. This was a really good book to read as a group. I liked discussing different view points with people, and learning what they pulled out of the book. Also, the background information some people brought to the discussion was amazing!

The introduction of the book immediately pulled me in. Tomas Harding wanted to learn more about his Uncle Hans, who the family claimed brought in the Kommandant of Auschwitz: Rudolph Hoess. I found it a fascinating motivation for the writing this book. I was a little surprised to feel like it took a good part of the book for me to really get who Hans was. It seemed we learned a lot about Rudolph right away.

For me, this book was more about the questions that often get asked about history, and in this case, the Holocaust. What motivates people to certain actions? How much did people really know about what was happening? Where is the line that you will not cross? It was also a good reminder to be aware of yourself and how you are thinking about things and voting.

I think this was an important perspective to add to the histories and memoirs about the Holocaust. It was a different way of examining some of the events and the questions that arise from them. I had not read a book about anyone from the war crimes investigation team before, and I found that to be very interesting. It brought up a lot of things I would like to know more about, such as: how the teams were formed, how were the members of the teams chosen, how many people did they bring to justice, and many other questions. It was an interesting book, and does not take very long to read.

If you are interested in the Holocaust I would recommend reading this book.

*Winning a copy of this book does not change my review. It merely provides me with a copy to read sooner than I would have otherwise gotten to it, or makes me aware of a book I would not have heard about otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment