Monday, April 21, 2014

The Ugly Princess: The Legend Of Winnowwood





This is a fairy tale about Princess Olive who is the last of the Winnowwood. The Winnowwood have magical powers. The problem is, the more they use their magic, the uglier they get. A witch puts a spell on them that they will turn beautiful if they give up their magical abilities. This was an easier way to defeat the Winnowwood instead of engaging in battle with them. Princess Olive is under great pressure from her father and others to give up her abilities. Her father cannot stand how ugly she is. Princess Olive struggles to prove that what is inside is more important than how she looks.

I won a copy of this book in the Goodreads First Reads Program*. This was an interesting fairy tale, and I had high hopes for it, as it claimed to be more about what is on the inside than focusing on they typical tale about a pretty helpless princess. This book largely met that ideal, but I was disappointed in the ending because I thought it negated that message. I will not spoil the ending, but I wish it had been different. It was still a fun book to read, but I would have liked it more if it had followed through completely.

Overall, it was a fine book. It was geared towards a younger audience, but fans of fairy tales will probably enjoy it. There is a lot of magic, animals that talk, and some battle scenes. I did like that the book talks about choices and consequences and trying to figure out what is really important in life. I thought it was a different take on The Frog Prince or Beauty and the Beast tales.

If you are looking for an easy read, and enjoy fairy tales, this might be a fun one to try.


*The Goodreads First Reads program does not require winners to give a review. Winners are encouraged to review the book, as the authors and publishers offering the books for free are trying to get the public interested in their book. If a review is given, it is not stipulated that it should be positive or negative, only an honest review. Winning this book does not change the nature of my review, it merely provides me with early access to this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment