Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hild




Hild is a young woman living in seventh century Britain. She is the niece of King Edwin, who is trying  to unite the kingdom under his rule. She is considered a seer, which gives her a powerful position in the King's household, but it is also very risky for her. If she gives the wrong advice, she could be killed. She tries to protect those she loves with her position, which increases the risk and pressure to provide the information the king needs. 

This is the first book in a fictional series about St. Hild of Whitby's life. It focuses on her early life, and how she came to serve the king as a seer. It is amazing what she accomplishes from a young age. I did not want this book to end, so I hope the next book is released soon. I am looking forward to discovering what happens to Hild as she gets older. I liked this book so much, I added it to My Favorite Books List.

I really enjoyed reading Hild. I could not put it down. I had to discover what happened with Hild and her family. I liked that Hild's powers are not derived from some mysterious source, but are achieved from being smart and paying attention to details. There are some battle scenes and a lot of intrigue that Hild must survive, which was fascinating to read.

I thought Griffith did an excellent job with the historical details for the time. It was a well researched book. She also filled in what is not known about that period or Hild's life in a believable way. The world and characters were expertly created and it was a pleasure to read this book.

If you like historical fiction or English history, I highly recommend reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment