Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Last Policeman




Detective Hank Palace is trying to solve a murder. Even his fellow detectives have a hard time understanding why he would go through the trouble when the world is ending in six months. An asteroid is going to hit the earth, and life will cease to exist. What do you do when you know when you will die? Do you continue to work, or try to finish your bucket list before the world ends?

Detective Palace is called in on an open and shut case. It looks like a suicide, which has become very common since news that the asteroid Maia is going to hit the earth and destroy all life. Something about this case bothers him. It doesn't seem like the typical suicide they keep seeing. He insists on continuing the investigation. When people ask him why he is bothering with this case, his response is: why not?

The first in a trilogy, this pre-apocalypse story combined with a mystery makes for an interesting read. It gives new motivations to the characters that make the mystery portion much more intriguing. The pre-apocalyptic portion of the story was well balanced with the mystery portion.

I won a copy of this book in a Quirk Books promotional event*. It was a premise that interested me. Not only is there a murder mystery, but we get to examine some philosophical questions as well. When I started this book, I was immediately hooked. I appreciate it when an author brings a new twist to what can be a predictable storyline. I also liked reading a pre-apocalyptic book, as post-apocalyptic is very popular right now. Another good thing about this book is, there are two more books to come.

If you like mysteries, I would recommend giving this book a try.

*Quirk Books does not require a review or stipulate what kind of review should be given if you are inclined to review the book. It was simply part of a promotional event for their book. Winning this book does not change my review. It merely provides me with a book I would not have read, or gotten to as soon.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of the inevitable asteroid reminds me of the film "seeking a friend for the end of the world". As much as I enjoyed that film, it'd be interesting to read a similar story focused on a character acting with different personal motivations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of that film before. It looks amusing. I liked seeing how different people reacted to the news, how it changed perspectives in the investigation, and the motivations of different characters. It helps to keep you guessing about the end.

    ReplyDelete