Friday, November 1, 2013

Stella Bain





Stella Bain is an American woman serving as a nurse in World War I. She has no memory of who she is. She was wounded on a French battlefield where she was working as a nurse. She is dependent on strangers to help her discover her memory again.

I won this book in the Goodreads First Read Program*. I thought it was an interesting idea for a book to focus on a woman's role in the war, and the suffering they would have also endured on the battlefield. Unfortunately, this was not the main focus of the book, which was rather disappointing. The book was less about her role as a nurse, and more about her struggles with her husband and children. That is an important issue, but not what I thought I would be reading about. 

This is an uncorrected proof advanced reading version of the book. I note this because there were some issues with spelling, grammar, and choppiness that I thought interrupted the flow of the story, and was quite distracting, particularly at the beginning of the book, which prevented me from really getting into the story.

I was disappointed in this book. It brings up some important issues, but they are not covered well, and left me unsatisfied. There is a lack of plausibility when you read this book that prevented me from engaging in the story. It was easy to read, but lacked the depth I wanted. I would recommend looking for a different book if you are interested in women's roles in World War I.

*The Goodreads First Reads program does not require winners to give a review. They are encouraged to review the book, as the authors and publishers offering the books for free are trying to get the public interested in their book. If a review is given, it is not stipulated that it should be positive or negative, only an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment