Monday, October 21, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children



By: Ransom Riggs


After a death in his family, Jacob travels to a remote island to learn more about his family history. He discovers the ruins of Miss Peregrine's home for children. In the ruins he learns more about the children that lived there, and that they might have been kept on the island because they were dangerous. He also discovers they might still be alive.

Riggs' story of people with unusual powers is an imaginative one. The use of old photographs gives the feeling that, just maybe, it is possible people with peculiar abilities exist. The combination of present and past in the story was handled well, and made for a gripping tale. I had a hard time putting the book down.

I won this book in a marketing promotion from Quirk Books*. I am so glad I did. I might not have gotten to this book for a while, and I wasn't sure how I would like it. I found Riggs' idea to use vintage photographs as an inspiration for the story to be an unique approach. What an excellent way to use old photographs and help people appreciate this resource.

I enjoyed the story, and I cannot wait for the second book: Hollow City to come out at the beginning of the year. It is definitely on my to read list. I have to know what happens with these characters. I also want to see what pictures the author chooses to use in the next book. I would recommend reading this book to anyone that likes suspenseful tales involving people with peculiar abilities.

*Quirk Books does not require a review or stipulate what kind of review should be given if you are inclined to review the book. It was simply part of a promotional event for their book. Winning this book does not change my review. It merely provides me with a book I would not have read, or gotten to as soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment