Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Hunger Games




It is time to decide the tributes for the 74th Hunger Games. There are two tributes from each of the twelve districts that fight in a special arena, while the rest of Panem watches. And there can only be one Victor. Katniss volunteers to go in her sister's place as a tribute, in payment to the Capitol, for the rebellion that occurred long before she was born. Numb with the knowledge she will almost certainly be dead within a couple of weeks, Katniss does whatever she has to do, to survive the odds that have never been in her favor.

I really enjoy this story. Every time I read it, I have a hard time putting it down. Although the book maintains its momentum, Collins balances the action and violence with exploration of the relationships between the characters, their background, and their views of the government. It is a thought provoking and entertaining read. This book, and the whole series is on My Favorite Books list.

Why The Hunger Games has been banned or challenged:

  • Anti-family
  • Violence
  • Offensive language
  • Sexually explicit
  • Inappropriate for age group
  • Satanic and occult content
  • Anti-ethnic

I really don't understand, and perhaps someone can comment and enlighten me, what about these books is satanic, occult, sexually explicit, or anti-ethnic? Please share if you know what this is in reference to, because I have no idea. I do agree that it is a violent themed book. Some young people may not be ready to process this book, but I really think it is well done, and manageable for most people. 

Don't let the long list of some people's objections to the content of the book deter you from reading it. It is a gripping story that keeps you interested until the end. I also like the underlying themes of the role governments play, class and economic differences, and determining what you are willing to sacrifice for your own survival. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to immediately read the next book. It is a good series to introduce young people to the dystopian theme.

I highly recommend reading this book.

November 6, 2014 Update:
You can read my review of the film adaptation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment